We recognize that the DUI process can be frightening and confusing. The average person has no reason to know the ins and outs of Connecticut DUI law, so naturally you will have a lot of questions. Let us walk you through what to expect after you are arrested.
After being arrested for a DUI, you will most likely be taken to the police station and asked to submit a chemical, blood, and/or breath test. Depending on your situation, you might have to stay in jail overnight and post bond in order to be released from custody. For example, if you threatened officers while you were being arrested, if you caused a major accident leading to serious injuries or property damage, or if you are being charged with multiple crimes, you might have to post bail in order to leave the police station.
Upon leaving the station, you might find that your car has been impounded and your license suspended for 24 hours. If this is the case, you should make arrangements to get your car and start planning a new mode of transportation.
In order to start building your DUI defense, you should write down everything that you remember from the night of your arrest. For example, make a list of:
- What and when you ate that night.
- What and when you drank on the night of the arrest.
- Road factors that could have effected your driving, for example, sharp turns with no warning signs, construction, winding roads, etc.
- Weather factors that could have effected your driving, such as heavy rain, snow, icy conditions, etc.
- Personal factors that could have effected your driving, such as failure to wear prescribed glasses or contacts, distractions within the car such as receiving a phone call, talking to or arguing with a passenger, changing the radio station, etc.
- Where and how the standardized field sobriety tests were performed, if you performed any. Also consider the instructions that the police officer gave you.
- Then contact Ruane Attorneys
These factors can impact your case. You can potentially build a defense for yourself around these factors.
To fully understand how to build the best defense for yourself in this situation, you should contact a Connecticut DUI lawyer. At Ruane Attorneys, our staff is trained in DUI defense. By putting our team to work for you, we can take on the stress of your court and DMV cases, which will allow you to focus on your personal life during this troubling time. When other lawyers say there is no hope for your case, we come up with creative and innovative defenses to represent our clients to the best of our ability. We have successfully represented people who have admitted to drinking, who have been caught with open containers of alcohol in their car, and those who have caused serious accidents. With our firm on your side, no case is a lost cause.