Since 2017, April has been dubbed Second Chance Month in many states across the country. Prison Fellowship is a service that raises awareness for Second Chance Month and helps those with criminal records move on with their lives. Learn more about this movement here, as well as how you can get a second chance for yourself.
What is Second Chance Month?
As we all know, having a criminal record can greatly impact your life. It can impact a person’s ability to get a job, go back to school, find adequate housing, participate in their community, and maintain strong relationships with family and friends. The Prison Fellowship has used Second Chance Month to bring awareness to these issues and try to break barriers for those who have a criminal record. They offer ways to offer second chances and raise awareness, such as:
- Partnering with the Second Chance movement
- Signing a letter to bring Second Chance Month to your state
- Attending local Second Chance events
- Sharing real stories of starting over
- Supporting Second Chance Month on social media
- Sharing your own story of starting over
- Participating in walks and runs for Second Chance Month
Connecticut currently does not recognize April as Second Chance Month. You can change this by contacting your local government.
Getting a Second Chance
Raising awareness of the struggles faced by those who have been previously incarcerated is a great way to reduce the stigma attached to a criminal conviction. However, there are other ways to move on and get your second chance. One of the best ways to do this is by obtaining a pardon. A pardon will erase your criminal record from government databases. You won’t have to tell people that you’ve been convicted of a crime, because the conviction will be erased. This could improve many aspects of your life. For example, it might make getting a job or being accepted to a university easier. It also could help improve your personal relationships with family and friends, as well as your self esteem.
Other steps that you can take to improve your life and get a second chance are:
- Surround yourself with positive people who can help you reach your goals
- Continue your education by watching informative videos and reading books
- Work through anger issues, depression, or feelings of insecurity with a therapist
- Participate in community events
- Reconnect with family and strengthen your relationships with those in your life
- Begin a health and fitness routine, whether that means joining a pickup league, going to the gym, or walking/running
All of these things can improve your general mood and your life.
Need Help With a Pardon?
Second Chance Month is the perfect time to get your fresh start. If you are ready to put the past behind you and apply for a pardon, contact our office. We are very familiar with the process and can help you through it, every step of the way. Give our office a call to get started today! We believe that everyone deserves a second chance!