There are many different parties that you can report abuse to. One such party is a long-term ombudsman. If you suspect that your loved one faced abuse, you should familiarize yourself with this information. You can learn more about the ombudsman as well as how to report abuse in this situation.
Long-Term Care Ombudsman
A long-term care ombudsman is a person dedicated to keeping elderly people in long-term care safe. The long term care ombudsman program does this by:
- Educating the public.
- Advocating for victims of abuse.
- Resolving nursing home resident complaints.
- Exploring issues of neglect, abuse, and exploitation.
The services offered by a long term care ombudsman apply to people such as:
- Residents of nursing homes.
- Those living in care facilities.
- Residents of assisted living facilities.
- Family members and friends of such residents.
- Employees of nursing homes.
- Administrators of nursing homes.
- People who are thinking about entering long term care.
- Those interested in the well being of long term care patients.
When such a person gets neglected or abused, they can get help from a long term care ombudsman. Your family or the victim can contact the long term care ombudsman program. A trained professional will work with you to resolve the complaint. This person has training to determine what is neglect and abuse. They know what is abuse and what is not. They will work to prevent issues of neglect and abuse by:
- Educating providers and consumers about neglect and abuse and how to prevent it.
- Checking in with facilities to make sure that their practices prevent neglect and abuse.
- Take part in local and state abuse prevention programs.
- Getting involved in public policy related to the neglect and abuse of the elderly.
- Developing citizen organizations and counsels to prevent abuse.
Finding the Right Home
When choosing a nursing home for your loved one, watch out. Consider finding a facility that has a relationship with this program. Nursing homes and other facilities that work with ombudsmen usually have plans in place. These plans can help prevent neglect and abuse.
An ombudsman can investigate neglect and abuse. They can confirm the neglect and abuse, which could help if your loved one wants to take the case to court. You should consult with the long-term ombudsman program. This should be one of the first steps after learning about abuse. An ombudsman can help your loved one in this situation. They can also prevent future neglect and abuse with the information from your loved one’s situation. For more information on getting help for your loved one, contact a neglect and abuse attorney.