It can be overwhelming when you are trying to make sure that your aging loved one has the help they need. Luckily, with the rise of the internet, there are more resources available to you than ever. These resources can be accessed easily and used to determine how to best treat your loved one. Here, I have compiled a list of organizations that help the elderly. Whether looking for a way to increase your loved one’s nutrition or treat a specific disease, this list should give you some good resources.
Alzheimer’s Disease Resources
Alzheimer’s is a fairly common disease in the elderly. You can get information on this disease and how your loved one should get treated on websites such as:
- Alzheimer’s Foundation of America. This website is dedicated to providing free information. This will help you get your loved one the best treatment available.
- Alzheimer’s Association. This is the leading organization dedicated to Alzheimer’s treatment, research, and care.
Many family members choose to take on the role of caregiving for their elderly loved ones. If this is the case in your situation, here are some resources that can make the process easier:
- Family Caregiver Alliance. This was the first community organization to focus on helping family caregivers. It provides information at the local, state, and federal levels on how to care for an aging loved one.
- National Family Caregivers Association. This organization supports and educates family caregivers. This allows them to help their loved ones.
Nutrition is an important part of any person’s health, but it is especially vital for the elderly. The National Association of Nutrition and Aging Services Program works to provide healthy food to the elderly. Visit their website to learn facts about nutrition that will benefit your loved one.
Long Term Care
Your loved one’s medical issues might require long term care. If this is the case, you can use the following resources to get them the right type of help.
- National Association for Homecare and Hospice. If you are considering hospice care or in home care, learn more through this organization.
- National Citizens’ Coalition for Nursing Home Reform. Public concern about nursing home care created this organization. The coalition provides information on legislative policy and changing laws. It also pushes for safer nursing home regulations for nursing home residents.
- Advancing Excellence in America’s Nursing Homes. This organization assists nursing homes in their quest to improve care for their residents. This organization assists over 1.5 million nursing home residents.
Neglect and abuse of the elderly is a problem in nursing homes and in-home care services. Organizations such as the ones in this section try to reduce this abuse.
- The National Clearinghouse on Abuse in Later Life. Staff members of this organization respond to instances of abuse to mitigate them.
- The International Network for the Prevention of Elder Abuse. This organization helps society understand and reduce abuse of elderly people. This helps elderly people live a life free of exploitation, neglect, or abuse.
These websites are a good place to start when you are looking for information to help your loved one.