There are varying levels of assault and varying levels of punishment for assault in Connecticut. Many people don’t know how serious it can be.
Facing an assault charge can greatly disrupt your everyday routine. You might be facing issues such as posting bail, a restraining order, or other issues that can alter your life. In addition, you have to start thinking about how you will build your defense and prevent an assault conviction. All of this can seem overwhelming and frustrating. But, the good news is that you don’t have to go through it alone. By hiring a criminal defense attorney with experience in assault cases, you can rest assured that everything possible to protect your rights will happen.
Important Things to Know
- You can be liable for the cost of all injuries in a criminal matter; and may also be liable for injuries in a civil matter.
- There is no bright line rule as to what a serious physical injury or what a physical injury is in the state of Connecticut.
- Purely emotional trauma does not constitute serious physical injury for purposes of the assault statute.
- You can be convicted of both attempted murder and assault with a deadly weapon and have two separate punishments for essentially the same act.
- Convictions of both assault with a deadly weapon and attempted murder with two separate punishments does not violate double jeopardy.
- You should not be convicted for both attempted murder and reckless assault of a single victim.
- The focus of a prosecution under reckless assault is not based upon the resulting injuries to the victim, but is based upon the actions of the accused.
When charged with assault, you need to have a lawyer effectively advocating on your behalf from Day 1. This is because every assault involves a victim who can come to court and impact the resolution of your case. By hiring a Ruane Attorney, you know you have a dedicated criminal defense attorney. This attorney can point out the weaknesses in the State’s case. They do this in an effort to resolve your case the best possible way. This might mean a Not Guilty verdict or a properly negotiated plea. Our dedicated team works around the clock for each of our clients, crafting a unique defense, answering questions, and providing support when you need it most. Just take a look at some of our testimonials to see the positive impact that we have had on our clients and their cases.
When you have handled as many assault cases as our firm’s attorneys have, you get a sense for the problems in a case immediately. By having our team working on your defense to assault charges, we can make sure we leave no stone unturned in creating the perfect defense – whether it be finding witnesses not documented in the police report, obtaining videos from businesses around the incident location, or even demonstrating why you were not the aggressor to prove you were a victim of the situation.