Protective orders can be difficult to deal with. Maybe you and your spouse said things that you didn’t mean in the heat of the moment. Maybe you did something that you regret. Maybe your spouse wishes they didn’t file for a protective order.

But, the protective order is now out there. If you and your spouse are on the same page, it can be resolved. But this resolution will take time. Whether your spouse regrets the protective order or not, it is out there. You should not violate the protective order. You might think that it isn’t a big deal, but violating a protective order can have serious consequences. Here, you can find more information on protective orders and violating those orders.

Violating Protective Orders

If you got a protective order against you, you should take it seriously. Oftentimes, obeying a protective order will be a condition of your release from jail on bail. If you violate protective orders, you will most likely have to return to court for a new bail hearing. During this hearing, the amount of bail gets raised. Your bail can be revoked altogether, in which you will have to remain in court custody while your case is pending.

In addition, and of even more consequence, violating a protective order is a crime it itself. Specifically, violating a protective order is a Class D felony, punishable by up to five years in prison. This means that on top of your original charges, you could face another five years in prison if found guilty of violating a protective order.

It is never a good idea to violate protective orders. If you are unsure of what you can and cannot do in regards to the protective order, you should contact a criminal defense lawyer. Such a lawyer can answer your questions and make sure that you fully understand the protective order. This can prevent a violation and help you keep your bail agreement.

Getting Help

If you are facing a protective order, it is a good idea to contact an attorney to help you. An attorney can explain what you can and can’t do according to the protective order. If you and your spouse want the order to go away, a lawyer can also help you do this. You can contact us at Ruane Attorneys for more information. We have dealt with protective orders before, and we can help you with yours.