If you have a restraining order taken out against you (also known as a protective order), you might not take it seriously. Maybe you said some things that you didn’t mean in the heat of the moment. Maybe your spouse regrets calling the police. You might think that everything will blow over and you can go back to business as usual.

But a protective order is not something to take lightly. Even if you and your spouse want the restraining order lifted, until it is lifted you should not violate it. Violating a restraining order will result in action being taken against you by the state. You can learn more about what happens if you violate a protective order here.

Restraining Order Violation

Violating a restraining order constitutes a crime in the state of Connecticut. It constitutes a Class A misdemeanor. You face up to a year in prison and a fine of up to $1,000 if you violate this order.

In addition to committing a new crime by violating a restraining order, you will most likely be violating conditions of your release from custody when violating this order. This means that the court can revoke your bail agreement. You might have to go back to a bail hearing. If this happens, the bond might increase for your release from custody.

Alternatively, bail might be permanently revoked. If this happens, you will have to remain in jail until your next court appearance. This can make preparing for your court appearance increasingly difficult. You won’t be able to gather evidence at your convenience. Also, you can’t meet with a lawyer without scheduling a visit to the jail. It can also impact your job, your family life, and your social life if you have to spend weeks or even months in jail.

Getting Help

It is never a good idea to violate a restraining order. If you are confused about the restrictions related to a restraining order, you should contact a lawyer and have them explain them to you. A lawyer may be able to get the order lifted so that you and your family can go back to your normal lives. If you need help, you can contact my office at 203-925-9200. We are happy to help you with your situation.