Embezzling is a form of larceny. A person commits this crime when he wrongfully appropriates to himself the property of another in their care or custody. Embezzling can also occur if a person appropriates property that is not theirs to another person.

Some common examples of this crime include falsification of overtime records, kickbacks, and using your company’s payroll to illegally take money.

This crime can be classified in six different ways.

First Degree Embezzlement (Class B Felony)

If you embezzle property valued at more than $20,000, you can be charged with first degree embezzling. If convicted, you face:

  • A fine of as much as $15,000 and/or
  • 1-20 years in prison.

Second Degree Embezzlement (Class C Felony)

If you embezzle property worth between $10,000-20,000, you can be charged with embezzling in the second degree. Punishments for this crime include:

  • A $10,000 fine and/or
  • A prison sentence of 1-10 year.

Third Degree Embezzlement (Class D Felony)

3rd degree embezzling deals with stolen property worth $2,000-10,000. You could face:

  • A fine worth $5,000 and/or
  • A 1-5 year prison sentence.

Fourth Degree Embezzlement (Class A Misdemeanor)

If you embezzle property worth $1,000-2,000, the penalties include:

  • A fine of as much as $2,000 and/or
  • A jail sentence of up to one year.

Fifth Degree Embezzlement (Class B Misdemeanor)

Fifth degree embezzling occurs when property worth $500-1,000 is embezzled. Penalties include:

  • A $1,000 fine.
  • A jail sentence of six months.

Sixth Degree Embezzlement (Class D Misdemeanor)

If you embezzle property worth $500 or less, you face a sixth degree embezzling charge. Penalties are:

  • A $500 fine.
  • A three month jail sentence.

Getting Help

If you are accused of embezzlement or larceny, it is important to consult a criminal defense attorney. Such an attorney can assist you with your defense and make sure that you are not taken advantage of. For more information, or to set up a free consultation, you can contact my office at 203-925-9200.