Your commercial drivers license is probably an important part of your work life. Many jobs require a CDL, and if you lose yours it will make working impossible. So, if you face a major traffic offense in Connecticut, it is important that you keep your license. Unfortunately, your commercial drivers license can be disqualified if you commit one of many different types of traffic violations. You can learn more on this page.

Major Offenses

Major driving violations can cause you to lose your CDL. So, these offenses include:

  • Driving in a negligent manner that causes the death of someone else.
  • Using a commercial motor vehicle to commit a crime (specifically a felony).
  • Leaving the scene of a crime or accident.
  • Getting a DUI or other alcohol/drug related offense.
  • Driving a commercial motor vehicle with a suspended, revoked, or disqualified CDL.

Serious Traffic Violations

If you receive a second offense for a serious traffic violation, the state will disqualify your CDL. So, some serious traffic violations include:

  • Improper lane switching.
  • Following other vehicles too closely.
  • Speeding.
  • Reckless driving.
  • Violating a traffic control law that causes a fatal accident.
  • Operating a commercial motor vehicle without your CDL on you or without a CDL at all.

Other Offenses

If you commit any of the following offenses, your CDL will be disqualified:

  • Failing to follow out-of-state orders.
  • Committing railroad-highway crossing offenses.
  • Failing to submit to blood, breath, or urine tests.
  • Using a CDL from a decertified state.

Getting Help

It might be possible to save your CDL, even if you face a driving offense. But to have the best chance of saving your CDL, you need the help of a lawyer with experience in motor vehicle violations. At Ruane Attorneys, we focus most of our defense on various motor vehicle violations. We have relationships with the courts in Connecticut as well as the DMV facilities. While each case is different, we can help you build your defense and save your license. To learn more, you can contact our office.