Most people use a standard driver’s license, but did you know that there are other driver’s licenses available? Depending on your job, you might want to apply for one of these types of licenses. You can learn more here.

Types of Licenses

Aside from a standard drivers license, there are two other kinds of licenses required if you want to operate certain types of vehicles: the commercial drivers license and the public passenger license.

In order to operate the following vehicles, the state of Connecticut requires that you have a commercial drivers license. There are three types of commercial drivers licenses that you could apply for if you are interested in having a CDL for work. These classifications include:

  • Class A CDL: a vehicle or combination of vehicles that weighs 26,001 pounds or more. If the situation involves a towed vehicle, this vehicle must weight more than 10,000 pounds.
  • Class B CDL: A vehicle weighing 26,001 pounds or more, or a vehicle that tows another vehicle weighing under 10,000 pounds.
  • Class C CDL: A vehicle designed to transport hazardous material or one designed to transport at least 16 passengers.

A CDL in one category does not mean that you have the right to operate a vehicle classified in another CDL license category. For example, if you have a Class A CDL, this does not give you the right to transport hazardous material. If you would like to do this, you must apply for a Class C CDL.

To obtain a license to operate one of the following vehicles, you need a public passenger license:

  • Taxi.
  • School bus.
  • Service bus.
  • Public service motor vehicle (like a limo, airport shuttle, etc.).
  • Student transportation vehicle.
  • Camp vehicle.
  • Activity vehicle (a device used to transport students from school sponsored events).
  • Motor bus.
  • Livery vehicle.

In order to obtain either of these licenses, additional testing past the regular license test must be taken. This is because operating such vehicles requires additional knowledge and awareness.