What if I Get a Motor Vehicle Violation but Live Out-Of-State?

If you are facing a motor vehicle violation in Connecticut but you live out of state, your case will be treated the same way that a Connecticut resident’s would be. You will be mailed a notice detailing your court date and you will have to appear at the courthouse on the appointed day. This means that you will have to make travel arrangements for the day of your hearing.

What If I Lose My Traffic Ticket?

If you lost your traffic ticket and you need access to the information on it, you can call 860-263-2750, which is the number for the Centralized Infractions Bureau. Alternatively, you can email [email protected] You will have to provide your full name and date of birth to get another copy of the ticket.

How Do I Respond to a Speeding Ticket?

You can respond to a speeding ticket in one of two ways. First, you can plead nolo contendere and pay your fine. Alternatively, you can plead not guilty and take your case to court.

How Many Points Will be Assessed From My License?

This number will vary based on several factors. First, the traffic violation that you committed will be considered. Prior offenses will also be considered in the case. Ultimately, you are looking at having between one and five points assessed from your driving license. This is the case if you are convicted of a traffic violation.

When Should I Hire a Lawyer?

In most cases, we advise people to hire attorneys to assist them and protect their rights in court. For serious motor vehicle violations, such as DUI, we definitely recommend that you contact a lawyer as soon as possible. For less serious traffic violations such as speeding, you should only hire a lawyer if you need help negotiating a plea bargain, preparing your case, or testifying in court. If you do not have to go to court, hiring a lawyer may not be necessary.

Why Order a Copy of My Driving Record?

You might want to get a copy of your driving record for a few reasons. One reason is to verify that the Department of Motor Vehicles did not assess points from your license if you plead no contest to your ticket or paid your fine in full. Another reason to check out your driving record is to see how close to a license suspension you are if you know that you have had points assessed from your license. Also, one other reason to check your driving record is to see if the DMV removed a violation’s points after the allotted time has passed.