Applying for a pardon can be overwhelming to say the least. Applying for a pardon requires a background check, fingerprint card, application, reference letters, a pre-hearing, and a hearing. The application process alone can be very time consuming. Hiring an attorney is the best way to assure that your time and energy will be worth applying and that you have your best chance at being granted the pardon. On this page, I will discuss the benefits of having an attorney for Connecticut pardons.
Why Hire an Attorney?
There are many benefits of having an attorney help you with your pardon applications. Some of these benefits include:
- Having an attorney search for all of your prior criminal convictions in all jurisdictions, and when they occurred. Making a mistake on this information could result in your application being denied, before the hearing even starts. Attorneys have the ability to do legal research and understand where to go to find necessary information.
- Assistance filling out your application. When you hire an attorney, they can fill out your application for you. For example, at our office, we send out a questionnaire to our clients that helps us gather information. We then use that information to fill out your application on your behalf. Our questionnaire includes questions about incarceration, pending charges, victims, convictions in other states, and demographic information about yourself that will help with filling out the categories and questions on the application. The questionnaire offers you an easy way to answer questions about yourself and allows us to fill in the complicated application for you.
- An attorney can handle the fingerprint card, by sending it to you and sending it in to the state police to be processed.
- Doing a preliminary background check on clients. It can be difficult to do this if you are not in touch with a lawyer’s office. Having a preliminary background check done means that you will know what to expect before requesting the full background check and applying for a pardon.
- Having an attorney represent you will give you someone that is in your corner, and will be able to communicate with state’s attorneys, victims, the Board of Pardons and Paroles for you. You will not have to worry about knowing the legal process or taking time out to speak with people.
- An attorney will be able to assist you with preliminary hearings and full pardon hearings. You will have the assurance that you are giving yourself the best chance at being granted a pardon when you have an attorney with you for the process. Pardon attorneys know the process and the system better than anything and make you feel at ease when attending a virtual pardon hearing.
Hire an Attorney for Connecticut Pardons
If you are still hesitant about beginning the process of applying for a pardon, call our office to speak with someone who can tell you more about how we can help you. If you are unsure if you are eligible or if you can afford it, call us to get more information about the benefits of having an attorney for Connecticut pardons.