When a person lives in a nursing home, they have certain rights in order to protect them from neglect and abuse. It is the nursing home’s responsibility to make sure that all residents are aware of these rights. The home must give each resident a copy of their rights and make sure that they understand them. This is meant to prevent any issues in the future. There are many rights that residents of nursing homes have. Here, I will discuss some of the most important ones.
The most important nursing home resident rights outlined by law include:
- The right to fair treatment. Every nursing home resident should get treatment with respect and dignity.
- The right to informed consent. Residents need to get told about fees and services of the nursing home in writing before they enter the home.
- The right to take care of money the way you want to. As a resident, you have the right to manage your money or appoint someone to manage it for you.
- The right to privacy. You should be able to keep personal belongings with you in a safe place while living in the nursing home.
- The right to know about your medical conditions. You have the right to know about any medical issues you have. You also have the right to choose your own doctor and refuse any treatment that you don’t want.
- The right to choose your schedule. You should be able to choose what activities you want to do and when, as well as aspects of your daily routine.
- The right to both assistance and independence. You should be able to get the help that you need in a nursing home. At the same time, you should be able to maintain as much independence as is appropriate.
- The right to be free from restraints. Physical and medical restraints should not get used to discipline any nursing home resident.
- The right to avoid discrimination. No nursing home resident should face discrimination.
- The right to avoid neglect or abuse. No nursing home resident should have to deal with a neglectful or abusive situation.
- The right to make complaints. If you have an issue with the nursing home, you have the right to be heard.
- The right to have visitors. You should be allowed to spend time with family and friends inside the nursing home.
- The right to social services. If you have issues with the nursing home or need counseling, these services should be provided to you.
- The right to proper medical care. Any medical issues should not go unnoticed or untreated in the nursing home.
Getting Help Protecting Nursing Home Residents in Connecticut
While this is not a full list of every right that nursing home residents have, it is a good start. This is a representation of some of the most basic and important rights that every nursing home resident is entitled to. If you feel that a nursing home resident’s rights have been neglected, you should contact a nursing home abuse attorney.