Assault is a crime no matter who is the victim of this action. But, there are certain people who are considered “protected people” from assault. If someone assaults a protected person, that person will face greater penalties than someone who assaults a regular citizen. The elderly are one party that is considered protected from assault. If you face an assault on an elderly person in the first degree charge, the penalties could be serious. Here, you can learn more about assault on an elderly person in the first degree.
There are a few groups of protected people when it come to assault. In the state of Connecticut, these protected groups are:
- Department of Correctional Facility workers.
- Women who are pregnant.
- Those with physical or mental disabilities.
- A person who is blind.
- The elderly.
These groups of people are considered especially vulnerable to assault.
Assault In The First Degree
Regular assault in the first degree in Connecticut is considered a Class B felony. Assault in the first degree happens when:
- One person intends to seriously harm another person with a deadly or dangerous weapon. Assault occurs when this harm actually happens.
- One person intends to disfigure or disable another person and does so.
- One person engages in reckless behavior without cause for another person’s life. For example, this might be the case if someone is driving while under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- By wanting to harm someone and doing so with the help of two or more people.
- By wanting to harm someone and doing so by discharging a firearm.
Assault in the first degree is a Class B felony. It carries the following penalties:
- A prison sentence of up to twenty years. There is a minimum prison sentence of five years if the assault was committed with a deadly or dangerous weapon. There is a minimum 10 year sentence if the victim is under 10 years of age or is a witness injured in assault.
- A fine of up to $15,000.
If charged with assault on an elderly person in the third degree, it is best to contact a criminal defense lawyer. A lawyer can review your situation and help you establish the strongest defense given your situation. For further assistance, feel free to contact our office. We are happy to go over your questions and help you at this time.