In the state of Connecticut, as in most states, juvenile records are not open to the public. Furthermore, minors are entitled to having their juvenile records erased. This is similar to an adult having their record expunged as a result of a pardon, meaning that once the record is expunged, you will no longer have any record. While there are privacy laws that keep juvenile records from being seen by certain people, an expungement will ensure that none of your juvenile crimes will show up in any government database.

Eligibility for Erasure

As a juvenile offender, you have to file a Petition for Erasure of Record with the court in order to erase your criminal history. Generally, you will have to wait until you are discharged from the custody of the Department of Children and Families, court-ordered supervision, or a court-ordered agency in order to petition for erasure.

You must wait 2-4 years from the date of your conviction to apply for an erasure of record depending on the severity of your crime. In addition, you can’t have any other juvenile cases pending when you petition for erasure of record. Some other restrictions include age (you must be at least 18 years old), and you must also have no other criminal convictions in adult court. Under some circumstances, your record can automatically be erased by operation of law.

After Erasure

If the court grants your petition, all of your police and court records, including arrest, referrals, complaints, orders, reports, and petitions will be removed from all agency, official and institutional files. Additionally, the finding of delinquency shall be deemed to have never occurred.

Youthful Offenders

For youthful offenders, the process for erasing criminal history happens automatically once a few conditions are met. Once adjudicated by the court you must: 1) be discharged completely from the court’s supervision or from the care of any court-ordered institution or agency, and 2) not be convicted of a felony between the time that you were a youthful offender and the time you turn 21. To read the law governing youthful offender erasure of court and police records contact my office.

To further discuss how to erase your juvenile or youthful offender records, contact me by calling my office at 203-925-9200. We can set up a free consultation.

Related Content