Looking to hire a lawyer for a neglect and abuse case? Finding a qualified attorney that you feel comfortable working with can seem overwhelming. Some people try to represent themselves in court. But, finding an attorney can protect your rights and make sure that the case is handled correctly.
One good way to find the right attorney for you is to ask other people for referrals. Ask your friends, family, and coworkers for names of attorneys they have worked with. The yellow pages and directories on the Internet are also ways to find potential lawyers. But, make sure to do research on ones that you find to see if they will suit your needs. For the most part, referrals are the best way to find a lawyer that clients like. A person you know might refer you to a lawyer who isn’t right for your case. But, this lawyer can refer you to someone who can help you with your case.
Upon getting a few names of lawyers in your area, you may schedule consultations with each of them. This is the only way to properly assess the lawyer and see if you could work well together. Many lawyers do not charge for the initial consultation but some do. Be sure to ask about a consultation fee when you schedule the appointment. One important thing to remember is that you do not have to hire the lawyer right on the spot. Hiring an attorney means that the lawyer will work for you so there is no rush to hire the first one that you meet. Don’t be afraid to shop around. Some questions to ask any potential lawyers during your consultation include:
- How long have you been practicing law?
- What are your areas of specialization?
- Have you ever handled any cases like my loved one’s before? If so, what were the outcomes?
- What do you think the possible outcomes of my loved one’s case will be? Settlement or trial?
- How long will it take for a case like this to get resolved?
- How much do you charge for a case like this? And how often will I get billed?
- Can you give me a maximum fee for this case so I know what to plan for?
- If I need to reach you after hours, for an emergency, will I be able to contact you?
- How often will I be able to contact you about the case?
- Who else in your law office will be working on my loved one’s case?
- Have you ever been disciplined by an ethics committee? Have you ever gotten suspended from the practice of law for any reason?
- If I am not happy with a settlement, will you follow my wishes and go to court anyway?
Finding the Right Lawyer
Hiring a lawyer is the best way to make sure that your case is handled and presented in the proper manner. It can help you get an outcome that satisfies you. Finding the right attorney to handle your legal matters can be a difficult thing to do. The first and most reliable step in finding a lawyer is to get referrals. Referrals can come from anyone that you know and trust.
The best way to find out if lawyers are right for you is to meet with them in person and discuss your case. This process is a consultation and it is a way to discuss any fees. You can also ask any questions you might have with an attorney face-to-face. Remember, any attorney you hire works for you. There should be plenty of contact between you two and you should get along well. The lawyer should also be qualified to handle whatever type of case your loved one is facing. It is also important to make sure that your loved one feels comfortable with this lawyer.