Upon learning about neglect or abuse, you probably want to do whatever it takes to help your loved one. But what if you don’t know where to begin or who to contact? Here are five people or entities that you should report neglect or abuse to. This will get your loved one the help that he or she needs.

Center for Medicare/Medicaid Services

If your loved one has Medicare or Medicaid, they can contact the Center for Medicare or the Center for Medicaid for help. Those with Medicare and Medicaid enjoy certain rights and privileges. If any of their rights become violated, one of these services can help.


Neglect and abuse are crimes. This means that the police should learn about such actions. You should call the police as soon as you learn of abuse so that the perpetrators can get arrested. This will prevent them from harming other people.


If you want to press charges against those responsible for abuse, it is in your best interest to hire a lawyer. A lawyer can walk you through the process of filing a lawsuit, if this is the direction that you want to go in. A lawyer can also prepare you for the possibility of a criminal case if the abuser is charged and tried.


Each state has an ombudsman. This person investigates issues in nursing homes to protect all residents. The ombudsman is in charge of making changes at the local, state, and even national level. This ensures that nursing homes are safe and residents are treated correctly. You can contact your local ombudsman and they can investigate the situation. They can try to bring about change. You can call 1-800-677-1116 to get the number of your local ombudsman.

Adult Protective Service Agency

In addition to informing the police of the crime committed against your loved one, contact adult protective services for help. These services can help at risk adults prevent and recover from abuse.