Spending time with your elderly loved one can make nursing home life a lot more enjoyable for them. In the summer, there are a lot of things that you can do together. You can take advantage of the nice weather by spending time doing summer activities outdoors. All summer activities don’t have to be strenuous. Here, you can find a few good examples of fun, low impact summer activities to enjoy with your elderly loved ones.
Summer Activities at the Home
If your loved one lives in a nursing home, you can take advantage of the nice weather around the nursing home’s grounds. A few fun and manageable activities that you could try include:
- Metal detecting. This is something that grandparents can share with their grandchildren. Walking slowly around the grounds with a metal detector will get them active without making the day too strenuous. Their grandkids can help them dig up anything that they find. This can be a great bonding experience for the young and the old.
- Gardening. If the nursing home has a gardening center, you can do this with your elderly loved ones. Planting seeds, tending the garden, and harvesting flowers is a great bonding experience. It will also be nice for your loved one to get outdoors and work on a hobby.
- Lawn games. Slow paced lawn games such as bocce, shuffleboard, and horseshoes are a fun way to get some fresh air without overdoing it.
- Spending time outdoors. When you visit your loved one, take your normal activities outdoors. Instead of sitting inside and talking, why not go for a walk? You can also read, play board games, and take photographs together outside.
Summer Activities Outside of the Home
If your loved one can leave the nursing home, consider taking a day trip to take advantage of the nice weather. Consider one of these outdoor activities to try:
- Outdoor concert or theatre. Your loved one won’t have to do a lot of walking or moving if you go to an outdoor concert or theatre. You can go see a play that they enjoy or listen to a type of music that they like.
- Outdoor flea market. You and your loved one can meander around a flea market together. You can go slowly as you look at all of the different crafts. Your loved one can even buy something to put up in their room at the home. It will be a nice reminder of the time that you spent together.
- Picnic. Another way to enjoy summer weather without overdoing it is by having a picnic. You can go to a park or the beach and talk over some food.
These are a few ideas of how to take advantage of the summer weather with your elderly loved one. A change of pace can be exciting for them and improve their spirits. You can share your favorite summer activities with us on Facebook.