Possession of alcohol by a minor can have serious consequences in the state of Connecticut. Connecticut, along with many other states, has a zero tolerance policy for alcohol possession by a minor. If driving and caught in possession of alcohol, you could face fines or license suspensions. If caught in possession of alcohol and you are under 21, it is important to understand the charges you face.


If caught illegally trying to purchase alcohol, the state of Connecticut will immediately suspend your license. This crime also carries a fine of between $200 and $500 dollars. Furthermore, as a minor caught in possession of alcohol in either a public place or on private property, you will be in violation of Connecticut law. If caught, your first penalty will consist of a warning. If caught with a second offense or any subsequent offences, you will owe a $200 to $500 fine.

Driving in possession of alcohol will automatically carry with it a license suspension. If you are caught in possession of alcohol on a street or a highway, you will lose your license. You will automatically lose your license for 60 days. If you are caught in possession on private property, or on public property that is not a street or a highway, you will lose your license for 30 days. In some cases, you can lose your license for up to 150 days.

While possessing alcohol as a minor will not result in jail time, attempting to sell alcohol to a minor can. If you try to sell or deliver alcohol to minors, you could face up to a year in prison, as well as a fine of up to $1,000. If you are a shop owner with a liquor license, make sure to check identification before selling alcohol. This is protocol, and it can save you from the legal ramifications of selling alcohol to minors.

Getting Help

As a minor, you should not be in possession of alcohol at all. If caught with alcohol on you, you face fines as well as a license suspension, whether caught while driving or not. Save yourself the trouble and do not attempt to purchase alcohol or have it in your possession. If you are caught in possession of alcohol, a juvenile defense attorney could help you to get a minimum penalty, such as the minimum fine or the minimum license suspension. If you have questions about what you have been charged with or your case, you can get a free consolation with a juvenile defense attorney at Ruane Attorneys by clicking here.