In previous articles, I’ve touched upon the fact that police officers on the road increase around the holidays. While holidays such as New Year’s Eve, the 4th of July, and Thanksgiving top the list when it comes to DUI arrests, any big holiday will see an increase in arrests. Valentine’s Day is no different. All of that champagne and red wine can lead to dire consequences down the line. For this reason, I’ve compiled a list of six fun, romantic date ideas for you and that special someone that will ensure that you have a safe evening and avoid drinking and driving. Consider these ideas and tips for a safe holiday with your significant other.
Date Ideas that Involve Alcohol
- Have a romantic night in. You can avoid the issue of drinking and driving altogether by having a nice, romantic dinner at home. You and your significant other can cook together and enjoy some good wine in the privacy of your own home. This is an intimate, safe option that will help you avoid the potential of being pulled over for driving under the influence.
- Walk instead of driving. This is particularly a good idea if you live in a city. You can walk to dinner or a movie to avoid the possibility of drinking and driving. Cuddling up in the winter weather and talking over a long walk is a romantic way to enjoy each other’s company – and if it’s snowing, all the better!
- Take advantage of Uber or a taxi service. You can still go out and hail a cab or use Uber to avoid drinking and driving.
Date Ideas that Don’t Involve Alcohol
- Make a scavenger hunt. This is a whimsical date idea for couples that want to have some fun. You can make a scavenger hunt for your significant other related to significant events in your relationship. Make your significant other work for some gifts and take a trip down memory lane!
- Do something adventurous. You can go on a skiing trip, go hiking in the snow, or find a pond and ice skate. If you and your significant other are sporty, this can be a fun, romantic way to spend time together.
- Have a movie marathon. Cuddle up and watch your favorite movies together. You can make slushees and popcorn and bring the movie theatre to your living room!
These are just a few good date ideas that will keep you safe this Valentine’s Day. Remember that today is about celebrating your relationship, and whether you toast with champagne or sparkling cider, focus on the true meaning of Valentine’s Day. If you do find yourself in a bad situation after celebrating Valentine’s Day with a few cocktails, you can always get in touch with an attorney.